how can I upload raster and polygons to a gps unit

11-11-2017 01:57 PM
janehansen
New Contributor III

Hi I need to be able to upload a raster image and a polygon to a garmin unit.  Does anyone know what conversion tool, if any, is available in arc gis 10.5 that can do this conversion. Or any other method that I can use to create a file that the garmin will recognize.

Thanks,

Jane

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

too many garmin units to comment.  and they appear to have limited alternate upload capabilitys according to a Dr Google search (ie .img for images, but not your standard img.

You will have better luck with tracklogs and waypoints, even from google earth etc

0 Kudos
janehansen
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan but what I am looking for is how to upload a map that contains

the ortho image and polygons needed to GPS so they can be used to help with

a survey on the ground.

I found a MapToGarminCustomMap

<https://bitbucket.org/wankoelias/maptogarmincustommap>

tool, downloaded it added it to my tool box but it tells me the tool does

not exist.

Any ideas?

<https://bitbucket.org/wankoelias/maptogarmincustommap>

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Jane

I didn't download the file, but I went to "Source" link to see what was there.

Here is my visual summary

janehansen
New Contributor III

Got it to work, thanks for your help Dan

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

glad it worked out Jane

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

A little over a year ago a client came to me with a similar question to convert some points (about 10.000) into a GPX file. When I asked what the specific purpose was, I started to explain the advantages of using Collector for ArcGIS - Collect & Update Data in the Field | Esri and being able to collect data in a structured way and taking photo's and being able to follow progress of field work by configuring a Esri Software | Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS .

In case your Garmin device has Android OS you probably can install Collector and publish your data in ArcGIS Online: Prepare your data in ArcGIS Desktop—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

This client is now completing their second validation of all those points in the field and presented at our user conference. You can read more about this here: CCU 2017 - Seguimiento, Monitoreo y Actualización de la compensación forestal de la PTAR Bello - EPM (although it is in Spanish).

So the question is, what do you want to do with your data in the field?

0 Kudos