unable to open basemaps and layers

Jump to solution
11-10-2017 03:05 PM
CoryBlackEagle1
New Contributor II

I can no longer access basemaps in ArcGIS Online, either in a new map or an existing map I previously created before the problem started.  I get these error messages.

• Basemap is not available.  Displaying the default basemap instead.
  • Unable to open map. Basemap is not available....  Displaying default basemap instead.

In either case, it will not open my map.

I am also having trouble accessing layers I find through Search for Layer in ArcGIS Online.  I get this error message:  "Unable to establish a secure connection to the layer.  The layer, <layer name>, cannot be added to the map."  This is for multiple layers in the search results.

This is ONLY happening for me with Google Chrome on my desktop computer.  I can access all content through Internet Edge on my desktop, through Google Chrome and Internet Edge on my laptop, and through Google Chrome on my office computer.

I searched GeoNet and found that users were having similar problems last year and tried what was being suggested.  I am still having the same problems.  Since I teach classes that depend on my students use of ArcGIS Online and I need to create content for them, this is a MAJOR problem for me.

Though I am an administrator for my department account, I am not (and will not be) an authorized caller for my university and its site license, and so Esri Tech Support cannot help me.  Can someone please help me?

Thanks!!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CoryBlackEagle1
New Contributor II

Hi Rebecca!

I appreciate your response. However, the root of the problem appears to have been Chrome on my desktop becoming corrupted when my internet connectivity went wonky. I was able to have full capability with ArcGIS Online (AGO) on my desktop through Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer. I was able to have full access to AGO through Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Internet Explorer on my laptop and on my computer at work. Clearly, this was completely restricted to Chrome on my desktop. IT and the tech folks at the university were baffled.

So, I enlisted the assistance of Best Buy Geek Squad, and the tech who remoted into my desktop fully uninstalled Chrome (which I had done) but then also deleted EVERYthing regarding Chrome from my desktop, including not only the cache (which I had also done) but also all the hidden settings (which I had not done, incorrectly assuming that deleting Chrome would delete all settings files). Voila' - problem solved.

I share this with you in the off chance that anyone has such problems again. The AGO Assistant is an awesome resource, and I have now bookmarked it.

Thanks so much for your assistance!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

KGerrow-esristaff‌ might have a solution

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Cory,

It sounds like the web map that you created is linked to layers and basemaps that either no longer exist or are not accessible from where you are logging into ArcGIS Online. Are the basemaps and Geological Hazards layer hosted on a local ArcGIS Server? I suspect that they are and when you are launching your webmap you aren't on the network where the services are located, resulting in the error message. If you login to a machine where you made the map, does it work there?

If my wild guess isn't right, you'll need to find out what is happening with the layers in the web map. You can find out these urls by monitoring web requests and viewing the status of the requests to each service. 

https://community.esri.com/groups/cats/blog/2017/05/04/monitoring-web-service-requests-from-web-apps...

Another option to troubleshoot this is to look at the underlying webmap JSON using AGO-Assistant: ArcGIS Online Assistant 

Click on the option, I want to view an Items JSON. Then select your web map and view the data panel. You'll see some operational layers and basemap Layers tags. Copy and paste the urls into your browser to see if you can navigate to all of them.

Feel free to share your web map and layer urls.

-Kelly

https://community.esri.com/groups/technical-support?sr=search&searchId=73c15f0f-8966-4317-abb7-0e9ec...

CoryBlackEagle1
New Contributor II

Hi Rebecca!

I appreciate your response. However, the root of the problem appears to have been Chrome on my desktop becoming corrupted when my internet connectivity went wonky. I was able to have full capability with ArcGIS Online (AGO) on my desktop through Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer. I was able to have full access to AGO through Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Internet Explorer on my laptop and on my computer at work. Clearly, this was completely restricted to Chrome on my desktop. IT and the tech folks at the university were baffled.

So, I enlisted the assistance of Best Buy Geek Squad, and the tech who remoted into my desktop fully uninstalled Chrome (which I had done) but then also deleted EVERYthing regarding Chrome from my desktop, including not only the cache (which I had also done) but also all the hidden settings (which I had not done, incorrectly assuming that deleting Chrome would delete all settings files). Voila' - problem solved.

I share this with you in the off chance that anyone has such problems again. The AGO Assistant is an awesome resource, and I have now bookmarked it.

Thanks so much for your assistance!

CoryBlackEagle1
New Contributor II

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!  Turns out that Chrome was somehow corrupted on my work computer, and it took IT working its magic to fix it since all of my efforts (culminating in uninstall-Chrome-and-reinstall-Chrome approach) didn't work.  Exactly what IT did I can't tell you even though I watched what was done since IT remoted into my desktop - sorry.  Just wanted to let the community know in case it happens to someone else.

0 Kudos