ARCGIS Pro Not Responding - Crashes

11-09-2017 08:05 AM
AudreyRussano
New Contributor

I've been using ArcGIS Pro 2.0.1 for the last few weeks. At least once during the day, the program goes into a not responding mode and the map screen goes black. Sometime it recovers and I can continue, but today every mouse click sent the program into not responding. I ran the system requirement check and my computer meets the requirements. Needless to say, its been frustrating. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

troubleshoot

• every project?
  • what is in the project?  lots of images, graphics, etc
  • what are you doing when it first goes sluggish
  • meeting the specs is one thing, but running Pro (or any software) with other applications open steals memory... hence, are you running Pro alone without so much as a browser open?
  • that is a start
0 Kudos
AudreyRussano
New Contributor

Thanks for responding. No other software was open nor any browsers. The project I was working did not include any images or graphics. It seems to me that when I switched the basemap to imagery to edit a polygon the program went sluggish.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Imagery Basemap... comes up a lot and slow performance seems to be associated with the enhance resolution AND a projection being set for the map that differs from 

(WGS 1984 Web Mercator, Auxiliary Sphere) ...

Resolution? pretty limited choices if you have to use imagery

0 Kudos
AudreyRussano
New Contributor

Thanks. I figured as much.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

A few options - update your video driver by going to Device Manager -> Display Adapter.  Jot down the make/model of your video card and go to the manufacturer's website to download/install new driver.  Does Pro crash?  Second, delete/rename the ESRI folder in the following windows path:

C:\Users\<user profile>\AppData\Roaming

C:\Users\<user profile>\AppData\Local

Still crashing?  Pls advise.

KEVINHAZLEY1
New Contributor II

Where do you delete/rename the ESRI folder?  I am confused as to where you find this?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Kevin - the path is referenced in my response above your message.  The <user profile> portion is unique to your login on your machine.  Open Windows File Explorer and navigate the paths above.  Rename the Esri folder and you should be fine.

alex_friant
Occasional Contributor II

Almost 6 years later, using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2, and this simple advice fixed an issue that sprang up the last few days which is Pro would lock up (windows says "Not Responding") when trying to close a map view, layout view, or even trying to just close Pro.

You're the real MVP!

Tags (2)
AudreyRussano
New Contributor

My drivers are up to date files were renamed. However, I do believe that the imagery basemap is causing the program to crash. I used the topography and street basemaps and all went well. The minute I switched to the imagery basemap the program went into a non responding mode and crashed. I did have the layers set to a different projection than the map. Is there a work around for this issue? Thanks again for answering. 

0 Kudos