AnsweredAssumed Answered

Fields/Attributes Lost When Joining Table

Question asked by bjdaniels@crimson.ua.edu on Nov 8, 2017
Latest reply on Nov 8, 2017 by Dan_Patterson

Hello,

I am trying to create a choropleth map displaying population density. The first step is importing a 'county' shapefile and a 'county_data" excel/database file. Once I import, I join the shapefile to the .dbf and once it is complete, all of the information is in the attribute table of the shapefile.

All fields required are displayed.

Once I have confirmed that all attributes/fields are present, I want to project the county.shp shapefile using the USA Contiguous Albers Equal Area Conic projection. This process completes successfully. Once it is done, I check the attribute table of my new, projected county_project shapefile.

As you can see, I lost a lot of attributes in this process. Am I doing something wrong here? Is it the projection I am choosing? Are there options I am needing to configure whenever joining that I am missing? Regardless, my solution would be to join my new, projected map to the old county.shp, and this would produce what I needed. Whenever I perform this action, however, ArcMap crashes and I have to start over again.

I am at a standstill here; I need these attribute tables that are missing so I can calculate the population density in my new, projected map. The projection that I am trying to convert it to is not necessary; I am allowed to choose any new projection for my project, I just decided that this would be the best one for the things I am trying to represent. Is the Albers USA Contiguous projection causing the error? I have not tried another projection yet because I wanted to get someone else's opinion first.

PS if this is not in the correct sub, will a moderator please move it to where I can get some help.

Thanks in advance

Outcomes