Survey123 vs AppStudio

11-08-2017 09:03 AM
EdwardSmathers
New Contributor III

Hello,

I have used both of these interfaces when collecting simple geographic info, with photo attachments using #android os and #iPhone devices.

I have found some shortcomings when using the app. Specifically, when not in a data coverage area the uploads of the photos fail and the app does not cache the photos in the background by default. Whereas the #Survey123 seems to do this just fine.

I understand the apps can be configured and customized, but my organization has very little in terms of resources to do this, so I was wondering if I am missing something simple or not?

I want to be able to capture locations with photos and notes. If I have to go the route of gaining the rest of my team access to #survey123 existing features (which would cost me more money, I believe???), then I will do this instead of fixing the app.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edward M. Smathers of Dig The Falls

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Edward,

When referring to AppStudio, are you meaning an app built on the Quick Report template?  It does have the ability to save submissions while disconnected; at the end of the collection, press 'Save' and they will go into the 'Drafts' folder for submission later.

There isn't any cost differential between Survey123 and an AppStudio template - if the data & form are shared publicly, anyone can submit data without being required to log in; if the form or features are private, then a login (named user) is required to submit.