ArcPad not reading "Imagery" folder

11-06-2017 04:08 PM
FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

I have a Trimble Nomad 1050 with ArcPad installed that is not reading my folders with mr sid imagery files in them. When I look on Windows Mobile file explorer from my PC, I can see the data and the folders. When I use the file explorer on the device, I can see the folder and the files. When I go to "Add Data" from ArcPad, the file does not show up at all. I have uninstalled, and reinstalled ArcPad; I have reduced the amount of data in the files; I have added the imagery outside of a file both directly onto the main memory, and on the storage card. I have made sure the MrSid extension is active. I even sent the device in for repairs, but it was sent back in the same condition. Before I send it off to a different Trimble repair service, I want to make sure, if possible, that it isn't a problem in arcpad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you, 

Faith

0 Kudos
11 Replies
IngridHogle
Occasional Contributor

Did you try adding the exact same imagery in ArcPad on your PC to see if it works there? I recently had to reduce the file size of some of my images by cutting them up into multiple, smaller images to get them to work in ArcPad. (These were tif, not MrSid, files.) I had the same experience on both my tablet and my desktop PC, and it occurred regardless of the .apm file I was using, so it was a good way to troubleshoot this problem and figure out what file size would or would not work.

0 Kudos
FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

I copied the data from the device onto my desktop. I was able to view it in catalog without a problem. I noticed that there was the tif and the sid in the file so only moved the sid back onto the device because they are much smaller files. I was/am still not able to find the folder or files in arcpad, even though it shows up in the file explorer. 

0 Kudos
IngridHogle
Occasional Contributor

Do you have ArcPad installed on your desktop PC, and can you open the files in ArcPad on your desktop PC?

0 Kudos
StephenQuan1
Esri Contributor

Hi Faith, for Windows Mobile, we tried to conserve memory by not loading all the extensions. TIFF and MrSID may be turned off, to ensure that it's enabled for your project, follow the following steps:

1. Tools > Advanced Settings

2. Extensions tab

3. Verify that MrSID is checked

4. Verify that TIFF is checked

After you complete the above, ArcPad should identify your images.

FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

I double checked, and yes both Mr. Sid and Tiff are checked. Thank you for the suggestion, and I welcome any other ideas.

0 Kudos
StephenQuan1
Esri Contributor

Hi Faith, perhaps you can provide more details to help troubleshoot further. Let's begin by the filenames themselves. I'm particularly interested in file extensions. I'm expecting it to be .sid.

0 Kudos
FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

here is an image of the file with all its extensions. Like I have said, one particularly confusing aspect is the folder "imagery" does not appear from the "add data" list. Because the uninstall reinstall didn't work, I figured I would try a factory reset after backing up the data and going from there. The device would not factory reset. the onscreen commands never came up. I think there might be something bigger going on with the device. It is still under warranty so I am considering sending it in for repair.  

I would love to hear if you think it may be something that I can fix, however. 

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
StephenQuan1
Esri Contributor

This is moving to the "weird" territory.

The things I'd be troubleshooting would be:

- Amount of memory (RAM) available; get this info from the OS

- Amount of memory (Storage) available; get this info from the OS

- Whether ArcPad installed properly; perhaps view in File Explorer and browse and compare folders against an ArcPad that works (e.g. ArcPad on Windows)

- Whether ArcPad extensions are loading properly; About ArcPad > System Information

Hopefully you may be able to get some leads from the above.

If not, well, I hate to be that software engineer and say it's a hardware problem, but, it is starting to look that way.

0 Kudos
FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

Hi Stephen,

I wanted to update you. I sent the device in for repairs because it would not factory reset. They reset it, and returned it. I reinstalled arcpad, and reinitialized the mr. sid extension, and it works now! it's silly but i'm excited that it's working. Thank you again for all your help and input. I really appreciate it. 

Faith