Seeking advice on combining raster attribute tables

Jump to solution
11-05-2017 07:49 AM
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Hi, 

I would like to learn how to combine thematic rasters so that the new raster retains the raster classes from the original rasters as part of the new attribute table. For example, say I have raster 1 that includes 3 classes for slope (flat, gentle, steep) and I want to combine with a landcover raster that includes 4 classes (bare, herbaceous, shrubland, conifer). What is the best method to combine these rasters so that the resultant raster attribute table includes slope in one field and landcover in another?

I don't not mind using joined tables if necessary but I want to be able to share this raster via tiles online and would like the attributes to show up in a popup. Can't tell from here if I need to do something the the rasters before combining so the object IDs are aligned and can be used to join additional tables from original rasters.

Thanks.

b

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

so you didn't check out combine... but it only retains the two fields used in the combine operation.  Everything else is a join which may or may not be permanent, leaving with a conversion to vector to do so.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You used the operative word.... Combine... read the help topic carefully first so you understand what you are getting and what you need first

0 Kudos
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Sorry Dan, I did not mean to use the word that way. I am using the raster calculator to add raster values together. I am trying to figure out how to retain the full table from each raster so that the new raster includes all the attributes from all the rasters that were added together. So far my web search has not resulted in much that makes sense to me. I see several references to joining tables to add raster attributes back in after using the raster calculator but I am unsure of best practices to make sure the join field remains true to the original rasters (is this what snapping is for??). And in the end I want the attributes to be a native part of the new raster, not just a join, so I can see those attributes in a tile image that is capable of displaying table attributes. ArcGIS online supports this, right? I read about using the extract by mask tool as a work around to burning the joined fields into the new raster but thought there might be a more direct way from right within the raster calculator.

b

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

so you didn't check out combine... but it only retains the two fields used in the combine operation.  Everything else is a join which may or may not be permanent, leaving with a conversion to vector to do so.

0 Kudos