Inserting “scale text” into layout in ArcGIS Pro,

Jump to solution
10-28-2017 05:07 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Inserting “scale text” into layout in ArcGIS Pro,

I couldn’t figure out how to insert “scale text” into layout in ArcGIS Pro. The google search returns no straightforward method to overcome this issue

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

To answer the question, the scale is available as dynamic text:

... and there are some options you can configure:

View solution in original post

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had the same question - if you click on the word 'scale' in the dynamic text window the dynamic text script window comes up on the second line change from mapUnits="mi" to  mapUnits = "ft" - then back in the dynamic text window make sure you change the word miles (behind the 'scale' button) to feet.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
XanderBakker

Hi Jamal NUMAN , 

I noticed that you asked a number of questions on ArcGIS Pro being an experienced ArcMap user. Did you see the webinar "Going Pro: ArcGIS Pro Essentials for ArcMap Users". This Webinar is available here at no cost:

https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/590901ecdb250232197d2326/going-pro:-arcgis-pro-essentials-for-... 

I agree ArcGIS Pro is pretty different from ArcMap and will probably take some time to adapt too, but once you do, you will be able to appreciate all the benefits it offers.

XanderBakker

To answer the question, the scale is available as dynamic text:

... and there are some options you can configure:

MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

To add to Xander's suggestion, the subset of the Esri UC 2017 tech workshop videos open to the public have now been released and are available to view here: Home | Esri Video. For those relating to migrating from ArcMap to Pro, try ArcGIS Pro: Migrating from ArcMap to Pro ArcGIS Pro: Migrating from ArcMap - YouTube   and ArcGIS Pro: Tips and Tricks ArcGIS Pro: Tips and Tricks - YouTube.

I find these videos really useful and an awesome resource.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thank you guys for the help,

I expect that I’ll be struggling for a while as I’m coming from the school of ArcMap. However, searching these small challenges on the google doesn’t lead to finding answers for them. This is a bit frustrating and encouraged me to report them as issues.

Sorry to bother you guys with such issues.

Jamal Numan
XanderBakker

Hi Jamal NUMAN ,

I understand that change can be difficult, and most of us have experienced that or all still experiencing these difficulties. I would recommend you to make use of the resources mentioned by Mervyn Lotter  and those on the training site I mentioned earlier and to have a look at the great variety of resources in this GeoNet thread: Migrating from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro Class Resources 

...and perhaps these:

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Xander for sharing the very useful links.

For me, I do search before I report issues. For this particular question, I could find no direct answer as I googled it. The screenshot you shared was sufficient to tell the whole story.

Jamal Numan
AnggiKusuma
New Contributor

Hi Xander
I have had very newbie problem in creating scale text in ArcGISPRO. The scale number between map scale and scale text (from dynamic text) is always different. Looks like there are rounding for thousand number. It should be 1:19,000 and not 1:19. Tried look here and there but still cannot find how to solve this. Let me know if you have some suggestion on this.

Thanks

anggi 

AnggiKusuma_1-1684123277742.png

0 Kudos
AnggiKusuma
New Contributor

I think i have found the solution. I change region setting in control panel, from English to Windows recommendation and my problem is solved!

TiffanyPuett
Occasional Contributor II

While dynamic text makes sense here, it defaults to map units, so feet to feet for example. No one I know uses that. A regular size sheet of paper is less than a foot. They would use some math...something like 1in equals 400ft. Anyone know how to build this into the dynamic text?