michael.aaron

ArcMap data view not rendering after basemaps added

Discussion created by michael.aaron on Oct 30, 2017

I am having a major issue with ArcMap 10.5.1 and basemaps. I am able to add my data and have it render. It is also possible to add a basemap layer (doesn't matter which one, they all load). However, after the basemap is added any changes to the view (zoom to layer, pan, etc.) will quickly degree the data view window to the point that it stops rendering. On some occasions, it will continue to render but only after I use the pan tool to slightly adjust the view.

Even after I remove the basemap layer, it continues to display and nothing else renders. Despite this, I can still use all of the other functionality of ArcMap and even select features for identification on a layer that is not rendering in the data view. I've tried to show this in the screenshot below: 

ArcMap functioning but data view not updating

In order to continue, I have to completely close ArcMap and relaunch. If the basemap layer is still present, the issue will  quickly re-occur. It is causing major inefficiency and frustration. I have uninstalled and reinstalled ArcGIS Desktop once already but it made no difference.

What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

Outcomes