Jenks Natural Breaks classification

10-23-2017 06:42 PM
ZacharyAsbury1
New Contributor

I've been working with the slice tool using natural breaks studying drought. I've had no problem with the tool, but in need of the algorithm or equations used in the tool to discuss in a research paper I am currently working on. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Zack

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Slice tool...

Jenks Natural Breaks optimization for classification

I have code somewhere in python but the references and Dr. Google should get you most of the way.

Check your distribution of your data and the number of breaks chosen to better understand how Jenks fits into the bigger scheme of classification

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't like Jenks, it's good for finding easy breaks, but for quantitative comparisons among maps I think other schemes (defined interval, quantile/histogram equalization, stdev) are more appropriate. Just my opinion.

Suggest an edit to your thread title: "Jenks Natural Breaks classification"

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You can find the documentation of ArcGIS here:

Classifying numerical fields for graduated symbology—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

You will see a reference to Geospatial Analysis—A Comprehensive Guide, 3rd edition; © 2006–2009; de Smith, Goodchild, Longley and suggest to search for "Univariate classification schemes" which will bring you here:

Building Blocks of Spatial Analysis > Geometric and Related Operations > Classification and clusteri...  (where you will probably have to do some reading...)

0 Kudos