Why is ArcGIS Pro so slow to delete features or append features into ArcGIS Online?

10-23-2017 05:21 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is there any way to speed up large deletes or appends into ArcGIS Online services from ArcGIS Pro?

If you select a large number of features in a map then try to delete (e.g. thousand features or more) it takes ages to delete them (like, half an hour or more sometimes). I find the same thing if I try to append a large number of features.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

-Paul

2 Replies
SteveLewis
Occasional Contributor

Very slow indeed.  I know the Dev teams were working on how to speed this up a couple of years ago.

I am selecting millions of records for delete and after days, it never finishes.  

The only work-around I have is to reverse the selection and export it out as a new feature class.  

But let's say you've selected 10 large feature classes (220 million records each) for delete where you have to select reverse and then delete.  ArcPro may crashin the reselection.  

A recommendation I have on this would be to allow users to set selected records for delete and then have a tool like QGIS' REPACK to delete and records.  REPACK is for shapefiles and DBF files but should be adaptable to the ever cool FileGDB.  

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Steve

See this link to another of my posts which has some relevance. The ArcGIS Python API seems to be faster.

https://community.esri.com/thread/192620-append-to-agol-feature-service-not-working 

Cheers,

-Paul

0 Kudos