How to add parcel dementions in ArcGIS Online for building a Web Map?

10-20-2017 08:58 AM
JonathanUrshan1
New Contributor

I am building our county's online GIS web map and we want to show all of the dimensions we have for each parcel.  They are an annotation layer. Is there a way to use that layer in ESRI Web app Builder?  Simply trying to publish the web map service with that annotation layer doesn't work.  It says annotations are not supported.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jonathan,

I have parcel dimension annotation layers added to my web map and it works fine. You need to be sure that you are adding the whole map service and not your specific annotation layer.

0 Kudos
JonathanUrshan1
New Contributor

I am at a loss still. The only way I can get my annotation layer into my ArcGIS web map is to upload it as a tile layer. When I upload it as a tiled layer I have issues with it displaying at certain map extents. Like when I zoom out it shows up but I cant read the numbers. When I zoom in close they disappear.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jonathan,

Strange. When you are in AGOL and on the Map tab you are working with the online map viewer and when you click "Add" on the toolbar and choose "Add layer from web" and in that dialog you paste/type you map service url and click add layer. If you enter the .../MapServer url and not .../MapServer/1 then you are adding the whole map service and your annotation will show fine like mine does.

0 Kudos
BrianFausel
Occasional Contributor III

I could be wrong but it sounds like Jonathan is trying to upload the annotation layer to become a hosted ArcGIS Online feature service, which is not currently supported in AGOL (that I am aware of). Annotation does work in WAB / AGOL web map if it comes from an ArcGIS Enterprise service (hosted locally or in the cloud).

0 Kudos