Is there a quick way to duplicate a layout in ArcGIS Pro?

10-19-2017 08:08 AM
CurtPope
New Contributor III

I am trying to duplicate my layout so that i can have mulitple layout sizes and/or orientations. Is there anyway to do this?

10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

haven't tried... but promising

once you have the layout created (or a shell), go to the Share tab and there is 'Save as Layout File' and 'Layout Export'... then from the new layout , you should be able to import it or way at the bottom of the dialog, import/load an existing one

MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

Not sure whether this is what you are looking for but to easily duplicate a layout, or map, open Catelog / Layouts. Then right-click on the layout of interest and select "Copy". Then right-click on Layout folder and select 'Paste'. This will create a copy of your layout that can then be renamed and modified. 

TaniaSmith
New Contributor II

Unfortunately this creates, as far as I can see, a live link between the 2 layouts.  So if you change the one the other also changes.  Best is to share the layout as suggested by others.  I.e. Share, Layout File (save file), then right click Layouts in Catalog pane and import this layout file (*.pagx).

David-Semitekol
Occasional Contributor

I use the same workflow as Mervyn Lotter

In the Catalog View I double-clicked the Layout folder to open it, then I right-click the layout to select Copy.  In the blank space under the layout I right-click and select paste and finally right click on the new layout and select Open.  This adds the copied layout to the project, which you can then rename.

I am not sure about any "live link".  I use multiple layouts in projects to print maps of different geographic areas.  The copying of the layouts saves me time by setting up the first layout: the legend, scale, extent, etc., and then duplicating this to the other layouts.  For example, I create the first layout of the Madison area, then duplicate the layout to print out areas in the Milwaukee area.  You could call it a lazy man's map series

Yes though, if I change anything in the Map, it will change on the layouts, but that is what I want.

TaniaSmith
New Contributor II

Thanks for this information.

As you said a change in your map will reflect in all the layouts. I would want the maps to be different for each layout. For example I do a map layout for one city (in my case a province) and then another for another city. I don’t want to change the ‘display definition’ every time I want to print that map. Currently I copy the map and then have to add the map to the layout again. When I replace the map in the layout unfortunately the scale bar has to be replaced as well. I then struggle to get them to be exactly the same.

Any suggestions on how to copy the layout and the map to a new layout and map so I need not replace the scale bar and legend?

Thanks

Tania Smith

Director: Geographical Information Systems

(Chief Directorate: Monitoring and Evaluation: Expanded Public Works Programme Branch)

Tel: 012-492-1493

Mobi: 078-086-2989

FaxToMail: 086-272-6316@ndpwfax01.ndpw.local<mailto:086-272-6316@ndpwfax01.ndpw.local>

E-mail: tania.smith@dpw.gov.za<mailto:tania.smith@dpw.gov.za>

Physical address: Centre Walk Office Block East , 266 Pretorius Street, Pretoria, Room 412 (4th floor)

Postal address: Department of Public Works, Private Bag x65, Pretoria, 0001

0 Kudos
David-Semitekol
Occasional Contributor

Hi Tania.  Yes, I see what you are trying to do and it can be frustrating, if not time consuming!  Have you tried using custom layouts?

Since all of my maps have some of the same elements: north arrow, header, footer, title, scale bar; I use a custom layout.  Create a blank project and a blank map.  Insert a new layout with the page size that you need.  Add all of the elements that you want to be repeated in new maps.  Then, in the Contents pane, right-click the Layout and select Save as Layout.  This will create a *.pagx file.

When you start a new project, create a map and then under the Insert Ribbon, click on New Layout - Import Layout File.  Select your saved *.pagx file and it will import your standard layout with the elements ready to go.  Then you will just need to select your current map for the Map Frame and you should be all set.

For things like definition queries, you will always need more than one map in a project to break that "live link", or so I think.

Hopefully this helps get you to where you want to go!

TaniaSmith
New Contributor II

Thanks David.

I will give it a go.

Regards,

Tania Smith

Director: Geographical Information Systems

(Chief Directorate: Monitoring and Evaluation: Expanded Public Works Programme Branch)

Tel: 012-492-1493

Mobi: 078-086-2989

FaxToMail: 086-272-6316@ndpwfax01.ndpw.local<mailto:086-272-6316@ndpwfax01.ndpw.local>

E-mail: tania.smith@dpw.gov.za<mailto:tania.smith@dpw.gov.za>

Physical address: Centre Walk Office Block East , 266 Pretorius Street, Pretoria, Room 412 (4th floor)

Postal address: Department of Public Works, Private Bag x65, Pretoria, 0001

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

You could share your initial layout as a *.pagx layout file and add to your project again and again.  Modify each layouts properties accordingly.

JasonLarsen
New Contributor

I had the same question as the OP, and your solution worked quick and easy!