In the event of an evacuation, can you use a script to use the text evacuation warnings and create shapefiles or areas?

10-20-2017 11:58 AM
BriannaWiley1
New Contributor

I'd like to write use ArcGIS to provide the public with visual guides for evacuations, but most often just text alerts are sent out (north of 1st Street, west of Main St.). Not sure if anyone has a trick! Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

what do you want to do? 

• show a map of the areas to be notified?
  • do you want to use arcmap to produce the data and then publish it somewhere else?
  • are you adept at python programming? (you have published in the Python place, but I see nothing Python related in the question)
0 Kudos
BriannaWiley1
New Contributor

Yes, show a map of the areas being notified and use arcmap to produce the data. I’m not exactly sure how this was posted in the python thread—perhaps my error! Essentially wondering if there’s an easy way to read the fire dept’s evacuation warnings, and map those areas both quickly and easily. Thanks!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it all depends on the form of the information.

Do they give you address solely? with directional information? what do you do now?

Still a bit open-ended regarding your current workflow, since it seems that the quickest solution is to just use 'human-ware' and demark the area yourself by creating a featureclass... from there, you enter web-world which others are better equipped interest-wise to deal with

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Find below a presentation and a video about the 3D Campus Viewer that includes 3D indoor routing:

So it is technically possible, but in a case of emergency will a person really grab it's smartphone and use that to navigate or start running? Additionally, remember that positioning inside a building might be a challenge too due to reduced GPS reception.

0 Kudos