AnsweredAssumed Answered

Model builder: From seven to one tool?

Question asked by kjellmh1 on Oct 19, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 20, 2017 by Dan_Patterson

I am trying to merge 7-model builder processes to 1. I have a geodatabase with five shapefiles who is the results from a transportation analyse. Each of the shapes are identical except for the filed that show amount of traffic for different years.  I want a new shape that shows traffic for year N, N+1, N+2 and N+3 and difference between N and N+1, N and N+2, N and N+3 I have made 7 different processes with model builder to do this but are hoping to do everything in one.

1. The shapes are missing spatial references so first I use the Define project tool for the whole geodatabase

2. The Traffic field have the same name in every shape so I have to change it using the “alter field” tool. From “Traffic” to Traffic2010, “Traffic2020” and so on. Hope there is a more smooth way to do it then this?

3. I wana keep the original shapes so I make a copy of the base shape

4. Then i remove the fields i don`t need anymore from the new base shape

5. "Join field tool" to join traffic fields from N+1, N+2, N+3 to the base shape

6. Then I add new fields to the joined base shape to show the differense between YearN and N+1and so on.

7. Then i uce Calculate field tool on the new fields: 

It’s working, but It is a big embarrassing mess. I’m hoping for a way to do this in one process where I just define all input and output variables, and hit run…

Outcomes