AnsweredAssumed Answered

GIS Services fails to connect in ArcCatalog for outside network users

Question asked by bhall1821_rcgis on Oct 17, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 19, 2017 by bhall1821_rcgis

We have a server that we use to host services for GIS stuff. Internally it is named AGS03 and externally it is named map3. Here is the URL http://map3.rutherfordcountytn.gov/arcgis/rest/services/ and folks can see these items through a web browser but they cannot connect to the server via ArcCatalog. The largest number of complaints are originating from users we support outside our County network. They attempt to create a GIS Server connection in ArcCatalog using the map3 URL and it times out and fails to connect. Ironically, in ArcGIS Online, the outside network users can use the same URL and search for a GIS server and all the data options are available in ArcGIS Online. Also, the URL works in every browser tested, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera, etc. 

So, I really think this is an ArcCatalog connection issue through ArcGIS Server somewhere in the ArcGIS Web Adapter but I don't know where to look for the solution. I checked with our network administrators and they say everything is open for outside users to access our REST services.

Has anyone else had this issue and how did you resolve it?

Bethany Hall

Rutherford County GIS

Outcomes