Publishing a feature service in ArcGIS Online

10-17-2017 09:53 AM
SamuelPerez
New Contributor

I am trying to achieve the, what should be simple, task of publishing a feature service from desktop to ArcGIS Online. I have tried two different methods, without success.

The first method I’ve tried was simply logging into my ArcGIS Online account in desktop and sharing the feature/map as a service. However, when I do this, I do not have the option to publish to ArcGIS Online, as my account does not appear in the ‘Choose a connection’ drop down option in the Publish a Service window. Do you know why that might be and what I need to do to connect to my arcgis online account?

The second method I tried was adding the zipped geodatabase to ArcGIS Online and trying to publish it as a service within arcgis online. This seemed easy enough and also seemed to have worked, except when I open a map and try to add my published service, I cannot not find it when searching it. I’ve given it an easy title, given it tags, added it to my favorites, and added it to an organization, but for some reason it is still not searchable, thus not allowing me to use it.

Any and all help on either of the methods would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Just to be clear, you logged in to your Organization and you have publishing right, Level 2 UN with a corresponding role and when you try to publish the map to ArcGIS Online you don't see the option "My hosted Services (Your Organization Name):

And when you upload the data in a ZIP to ArcGIS Online, you have the option "publish as hosted feature services" switched on? After publishing the content of the ZIP you should be redirected to the item page of the hosted feature service. On the right side you should have a button that allows you to add the hosted feature service to a new or existing map. 

Or when you have a map and want to add the service, you should look for your own content (and tag the content appropriately for easy access).

SamuelPerez
New Contributor

Xander,

Thank you for the response. I logged into my ArcGIS Online account. Is that what you mean by Organization? How do I check if I have the publishing right and the Level 2 UN? I do not see what you see in your attached screenshot.

As far as when I upload data in a zip to ArcGIS Online, it does not give me the option to toggle "publish as hosted feature services". After adding a zipped file, it does redirect me to the item page, however the only buttons it gives is to Download, Update, or Share.

0 Kudos
RobertPrice3
New Contributor II

I get this far and then I don't get an answer just like Samuel.

0 Kudos