Unexpected error from the external database driver (1)

Jump to solution
10-13-2017 01:06 PM
deleted-user--WGKEqvHwtik
New Contributor

I am trying to import an xls file for aerial imagery into my map. I'm working on ArcMap 10.5.1. I've never had a problem before but today have received the error message: 

"Could not add the specified data object to the map. 

General function failure

Unexpected error from thte external database drive (1)."

I downloaded the driver located here:Download 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components from Official Microsoft Download Ce... 

mentioned in other similar posts but that did not fix the problem. 

Thoughts?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NatalieMartinkus2
New Contributor

After playing around a little bit, I have discovered that ArcGIS will now only accept .xlsx files, not.xls.  Hopefully that will be your fix too.

~ natalie

View solution in original post

5 Replies
NatalieMartinkus2
New Contributor

I am having this problem too. Just a few weeks ago everything was working fine with opening excel (Microsoft 2016) files (as .xls) into ArcMap, and now I am getting the same error.  I looked through my update history and saw that Microsoft performed a series of updates on 10/10/17, so Im guessing they are the reason things are just now going haywire.  Any ideas?  

NatalieMartinkus2
New Contributor

After playing around a little bit, I have discovered that ArcGIS will now only accept .xlsx files, not.xls.  Hopefully that will be your fix too.

~ natalie

DannySantos
New Contributor

Yup.  Saving my .xls to xlsx did the trick.  thanks!

TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

You guys got it.  

Error: Failed to connect to database. General function failure Unexpected error from external databa... 

Solution or Workaround

Open the .xls file in Microsoft Excel, save it as a .xlsx, and install the 2007 Office System driver (if it is not already installed).

Alternatively, open ArcToolbox and navigate to System Toolboxes > Conversion Tools > Excel > Excel To Table geoprocessing tool to import the .xls file as a table. 

TrentonBenedict
New Contributor

If you guys want a simpler solution that doesn't need you to download any extra drivers, you can save your .xls or .xlsx as a .csv file.  ArcMAP should be able to use .csv files with no problem.