Is anyone using ArcGIS with the Microsoft Surface Studio?

10-16-2017 09:31 AM
DanielleSmith1
New Contributor

I am a Mac user looking to purchase a PC for GIS use.  I think the tools of the Surface Studio could be amazing to GIS workflow, which leads to two questions:

1) Is the Surface Studio powerful enough to be effective?

2) Is ESRI supporting any of the touch screen interface?

I would love to hear from someone using a Surface Studio with ArcGIS.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Studio is my next toy.  I am using the Microsoft Book (big sibling to the Microsoft Pro) and it is an amazing 'laptop', 'notepad' and the pen and the touch screen and mouse pretty well have you covered.  Whether ArcMap supports all these is irrelevant, if you have to use ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro.  Ps... dual graphics cards  in Book are usefull and Studio is a step up from the Book.  Compare specs on the Microsoft site.  it will be nice to lean over and work on, but obviously not a carry around.  I haven't been disappoint.  This is the only machine that I have bought as a stock item rather than having built in over a decade... Studio will be my next one... but you better have the $change$ it isn't cheap

0 Kudos
AlexMora
New Contributor

Hello Dan,

mi question is very specific.  does the pen work? i mean, can i draft points, lines or polygons using the microsoft surface studio, the pen and arcgis or arcmap.  i just went to store and i could not get it to draw a single line, i could not get the right and left click capabilities (of a mouse) in the pen, which is what is needed to start , continue and finish edits.  also the rotating gadget only zoomed the map nothing else.  hope you got some feed back.  thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Ahhh the specifics... no.. the pen works like a mouse in Surface Book (so by extension)... the problem isn't the hardware, Pro and Map don't support the feature.  The pen works as a pen in software that supports pen-is-more-than-a-mouse functionality

The wireless mouse that can be folded flat to shut off is great and worth every dime.

0 Kudos
AlexMora
New Contributor

thanks, and great.  you "hit the pen on the head" regarding microsoft powerful machine and the arcgis editing possibility via their pen.

Now, perhaps do you have any input regarding devices like the dell canvas and its pen?

0 Kudos