ArcGIS Pro Extensions licensing clarification

Jump to solution
10-11-2017 06:59 AM
AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

With the advent of ArcGIS Pro, and since its intial release, many new developments have changed the way ESRI customers used to work. One of these are the licensing types one can use to authorize ArcGIS Pro.

I'd like to clarify a few key points concerning the extensions which IMO are somehow obscured due to the rapid changes the platform has undergone.

ArcGIS Pro from version 1.2 can be authorized with a named user license, which is linked to AGOL credentials and an annual maintenance (this is the deafault), or with the well known Single and Concurrent Use licenses.

According to this technical article, ArcGIS Pro authorization numbers are different from ArcMap ones. Thus, one is supposed to go into my.esri and convert ArcGIS Pro named licenses to either Single or Concurrent Use (depending on which license has been purchased). This seems true for extensions as well.

On the one hand, one obvious benefit of using named licenses is that it is possible to run up to three concurrent instances of ArcGIS Pro with the same AGOL credentials from three different machines. The only requirement is to be currently-on-maintenance.

On the other hand if one does not annually maintain the license, one loses the right to use ArcGIS Pro (although it seems it is still possible to convert an expired named license to Single or Concurrent license).

My questions are:

1. Do the same rules apply to ArcGIS Pro extensions?
  2. If I purchase (e.g.) three Spatial Analyst extensions, it means I have purchased both three ArcGIS Desktop Spatial Analyst AND three ArcGIS Pro for Spatial Analyst?
  3. Are the purchased ArcGIS Pro extensions of 'named license' type by default?
  4. Can I use expired ArcGIS Pro extensions with currently-on-maintenance ArcGIS Pro?

Thanks in advance for clarifying.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

valraa     

1. Do the same rules apply to ArcGIS Pro extensions? Yes.

2. If I purchase (e.g.) three Spatial Analyst extensions, it means I have purchased both three ArcGIS Desktop Spatial Analyst AND three ArcGIS Pro for Spatial Analyst? Technically, yes, but you still only have three licenses, not six, which means 3 users of the extension, not 3 using it with ArcMAP and 3 others using it with ArcGIS Pro.

3. Are the purchased ArcGIS Pro extensions of 'named license' type by default? If you provision your ArcGIS Pro license as SU (or CU, if that’s the license type you have), you will need to do the same with the extension. You cannot mix license types.

4. Can I use expired ArcGIS Pro extensions with currently-on-maintenance ArcGIS Pro? If you have a perpetual license for an extension that you no longer pay maintenance, you would not be able to use it with ArcGIS Pro as Named User, but if you are able to convert it and use both ArcGIS Pro and the extension as SU, for example, the answer is yes.

Also see this documentation: http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/licensing-arcgis-pro.htm

With a Named User license, an ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS member can sign in to ArcGIS Pro and use the application on any machine on which it is installed. The application runs with the license level and extensions specified by the ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS administrator. A member with a Named User license can run ArcGIS Pro on up to three machines simultaneously.”

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

valraa     

1. Do the same rules apply to ArcGIS Pro extensions? Yes.

2. If I purchase (e.g.) three Spatial Analyst extensions, it means I have purchased both three ArcGIS Desktop Spatial Analyst AND three ArcGIS Pro for Spatial Analyst? Technically, yes, but you still only have three licenses, not six, which means 3 users of the extension, not 3 using it with ArcMAP and 3 others using it with ArcGIS Pro.

3. Are the purchased ArcGIS Pro extensions of 'named license' type by default? If you provision your ArcGIS Pro license as SU (or CU, if that’s the license type you have), you will need to do the same with the extension. You cannot mix license types.

4. Can I use expired ArcGIS Pro extensions with currently-on-maintenance ArcGIS Pro? If you have a perpetual license for an extension that you no longer pay maintenance, you would not be able to use it with ArcGIS Pro as Named User, but if you are able to convert it and use both ArcGIS Pro and the extension as SU, for example, the answer is yes.

Also see this documentation: http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/licensing-arcgis-pro.htm

With a Named User license, an ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS member can sign in to ArcGIS Pro and use the application on any machine on which it is installed. The application runs with the license level and extensions specified by the ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS administrator. A member with a Named User license can run ArcGIS Pro on up to three machines simultaneously.”

OliverDaniel1
New Contributor

With regards to your answer on extension licenses

... but you still only have three licenses, not six, which means 3 users of the extension, not 3 using it with ArcMAP and 3 others using it with ArcGIS Pro...

For a customers using concurrent licenses, do they have to decide that among the 3 concurrent extension licenses purchased which ones are for ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro when the licenses are purchased? Does the customer have chose 2 concurrent license for Pro and 1 for Desktop? Or does the license manager keep track of your 3 extensions so that there are 3 total and one user checks out a license on Pro and another user checks out an extension license on Desktop and the 3rd license can be checked out on either? In this case it would seem that whether the extensions are being checked out by Pro or Desktop can vary day by day.