Journal story map-closing link does not take me back to same position in story map

Jump to solution
10-09-2017 07:36 PM
MilaAlvarez
New Contributor III

In a Journal story map, I have linked an image to a Tableau graph (Workbook: Acres burned 1960–2016 ). When I close the Tableau window, the story map starts from the beginning, rather than taking you back to the story map page where the link was. Any tip on how to do this?   Thank you!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Mila -- give this a try: Launch a Story Map Journal at a specific section | ArcGIS Blog 

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Mila,

Try moving your topic to the Story Maps‌ space. It likely will get more visibility there. Can you post a link to your story map here?

0 Kudos
MilaAlvarez
New Contributor III

The story is not public yet. But here it is in case you have internal access 

https://arcg.is/DWnO8 

https://usforests.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=df8a5097d2f741f0bb64f09922413ef1&... 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Mila -- Sorry you are getting unexpected results with your story map. If you have not shared your story then no one else, other than administrators in your organization, is able to see it.

Could you describe a little more about how your story is configured, what is happening, and what you expect to happen? Also, if you could share a few screenshots that might help clarify what is going on.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
MilaAlvarez
New Contributor III

Hi Owen,

Thank you for quick reply. I want to use interactive charts, produced in Tableau, in my Journal story map. However, when embedded as a weblink in the side panel, they don't show well because they are too wide. I decided to insert the graph as an image (produced in excel and saved as .png) and link this image to the interactive graph hosted in Tableau Public.

In Tableau, you have the option to define the URL that will open up when your interactive chart opens: a) their portal, or b) a given website (in this case I am using the story map link)

a) Tableau portal (interactive graph shows embedded in their site)

b) Story map site (interactive chart shows as a popup window with the first page of the story map in the background.

When you click the story map  image, there are two things that open up: the popup window with the interactive graph, and a new browser with the story map behind (showing the first Journal story map page). When you close the window, the new browser that simultaneously opened remains leaving the viewer with the beginning of the story. If the viewer realizes what is happening, s/he can just close the second browser window, but most people would be confuse of why they are no longer in the same page where the chart is inserted.

Any chance that I can insert in Tableau the story map link that takes you directly to the page where the graph image was inserted? 

Thank you!

Mila

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Mila -- give this a try: Launch a Story Map Journal at a specific section | ArcGIS Blog 

Owen Evans
MilaAlvarez
New Contributor III

THANK YOU SO MUCH! It works exactly as I wanted. You (and your team) are the best!

Mila