AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do you debug a script tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.0.1?

Question asked by Hornbydd on Oct 10, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 16, 2017 by Dan_Patterson

All,

In ArcMap you can create a script tool by wiring up an interface to an existing script. You can then run it, edit it or run it in debug mode using your favorite IDE.

In ArcGIS Pro 2.0.1 how to you run a script tool in debug mode? The help file just says you can but gives no other information. So when I right click on on a script in the tool box I do not see the option to run it in debug mode as shown below. Is it even possible?

Dan Patterson put me onto using spyder IDE, so using the python package manager I installed spyder. I then went into the options and set the Script Editor to the spyder.exe. Now if I choose edit from the context menu it opens the script in spyder, so that bit works but how do I run it in debug mode so I can track down a bug? In ArcMap when you run a script in debug mode it allows you to set your parameters via the tool interface, then opens up the IDE and you can step through your code.

I'm assuming I've misunderstood something as this seems a major hole in doing any sort of scripting in ArcGIS Pro if you can't run it in debug mode?

I look forward to any advice!

Duncan

Outcomes