Search for features within a polygon boundary

10-09-2017 01:31 PM
ElizabethBrumfield
New Contributor III

I am trying to build an app using the Information Lookup template. I have two layers - one is parcels and the other layer is larger polygons made up of groups of those parcels.  I would like the user to be able to search for a larger polygon and then be able to click on each individual parcel and get info on each clicked feature as well as the larger polygon.  I have tried the WAB, basic viewer template, and Information Lookup template but nothing will allow me to search on the larger polygon and then click on the smaller polygons to get their information.  Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I suppose that on the data you could enable a relationshipclass between the larger polygon and the individual parcels, which would enable to click on a larger polygon and in the pop-up the relationship would enable access to the individual parcels.

Also if you enable a search on the layer with the larger polygons and it zooms in to the larger polygon, you could still click on the smaller ones. 

ElizabethBrumfield
New Contributor III

Ok I'll try setting a relationship. But I did your option 2 - enabled a search on larger polygons and then trying to click on the smaller ones. In the Information Lookup template it only works if I set the smaller polygon to be a lookup layer, too - but then when user searches for a larger polygon they get the entire list of smaller ones.

Thanks, I'll try your first suggestion.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Can you share some screenshots of what is happening at this moment to get a better idea of what you have right now and what is not working for you?

0 Kudos
ElizabethBrumfield
New Contributor III

I'm sorry I haven't responded, I've been out sick for the past week. Maybe looking at my app would be more helpful to you than a screenshot. Here's the url:  Information Lookup   . Just start typing something like "Abernathy" and choose the MSBU that auto fills. I want the app to zoom to the MSBU (the larger polygon), and then the user can click on a parcel and get information about that parcel.  I swear I thought I had it working that way a few weeks ago but somehow I lost my thread and now it only shows MSBUs (larger parcels).  Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

I guess it should be looking at the other (parcel) layer when you click on a parcel. Although each time it centers, only the information from the MSBU is returned. Can you share the configuration of the app?

0 Kudos
ElizabethBrumfield
New Contributor III

Yes, when a user clicks on a  parcel inside the MSBU polygon, their parcel data should appear.  Here are the lookup layer and search tabs from my app. I have experimented with all different combinations of both.  I either end up with showing all the parcels in a MSBU (too busy), or like I have it now - nothing showing.  

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

How is the pop-up defined?

0 Kudos
ElizabethBrumfield
New Contributor III

On the parcel layer, I have set the display to be "A List of Field Attributes" with the owner name and parcel number showing. On the MSBU layer I also have it set to be a list of attributes - with MSBU name, ID#, starting year, ending year, duration.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

I will have to dive into the template and see what is being used, but I might be something with the order of your layers in the web map or the configuration of the pop up information.

0 Kudos