AnsweredAssumed Answered

Can Detect Feature Changes be pointed at field other than OBJECTID for comparison?

Question asked by mlvowell on Oct 10, 2017
Latest reply on Apr 3, 2018 by sallenstein

I need to be able to bring in Shapefiles that represent assets (polylines) as they were in different months and figure out which ones were added, which deleted, and which had some attributes change between the two layers.  I'm trying to use Detect Feature Changes for this, but I'm running into a problem where some changes are being detected where no change exists.  Digging into it, I discover that it's claiming a feature was deleted and an identical one was added and the reason for this is the OBJECTID was different between the two features. 

As I understand it, the OBJECTID is assigned to each feature by ArcGIS as the layer is being imported into the map.  Or perhaps this is done when the layer is exported at the source.  Either way, some automated process assigns these numbers and there is no way to ensure consistency.  However, there is already a unique identifier for the feature in the table that is the same between the two.  Is there a way to make Detect Feature Changes use a field other than OBJECTID as its key for comparison?  I tried putting that field in the Match Fields section of the tool's dialog box, but this had no effect.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give on this!

Outcomes