How can I delete someone elses data

Jump to solution
10-08-2017 03:10 PM
TobyTe_Rupe1
New Contributor

Hello,

As part of data maintenance. I have data owned by a user (i.e dpi\userA). UserA has since left the company and I would now like to delete the data owned by this UserA. I have tried using arcMap and connecting to the Database as both SA and SDE users but still do not have the required privileges to do so from within ArcMap.

Any help thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

There are some tasks in an Enterprise geodatabase, which can only be performed using the Data Owner, such as:

• Changing the Schema of the data
  • Registering\Unregistering the data as Versioned
  • Granting privileges on that Data to other users in the geodatabase
  • Deleting the data, etc

Even though the 'sysadmin' is supposed to have the highest possible permissions on that SQL Server instance, it still cannot be used to perform the above tasks.

So in your case, if the data is owned by UserA (i.e DPI\UserA), then you will have to connect using the same DPI\UserA Windows login to delete the data. There are no other options.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

doesn't someone have full rights?

0 Kudos
TobyTe_Rupe1
New Contributor

The scenario here is I would like SA, DBO or SDE to take care of the rights here.

Problem also in ArcMap I can not see using SA, DBO or SDE who has privileges on the data without logging in as this user.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

This is probably one of only two valid reasons to use an account with Administrator access through a Database Connection folder (the other being for geodatabase upgrade).  It's also a reminder to make sure that core tables are owned by a "headless" data ownership user, so that it is safe to archive (in FGDB)  and delete the tables owned by departing users.

- V

Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

There are some tasks in an Enterprise geodatabase, which can only be performed using the Data Owner, such as:

• Changing the Schema of the data
  • Registering\Unregistering the data as Versioned
  • Granting privileges on that Data to other users in the geodatabase
  • Deleting the data, etc

Even though the 'sysadmin' is supposed to have the highest possible permissions on that SQL Server instance, it still cannot be used to perform the above tasks.

So in your case, if the data is owned by UserA (i.e DPI\UserA), then you will have to connect using the same DPI\UserA Windows login to delete the data. There are no other options.