Cloud Builder for Azure ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1

10-06-2017 08:46 AM
JoeWeyl
Occasional Contributor

Greetings -

We followed the directions to the letter for Cloud Builder to install our new Azure Enterprise GIS environment. But it appears that there are some issues with the out of the box configuration. After deploying the new environment, I did go in and configure the Primary and Secondary Data Stores, but then this is where things started going wrong. By default, Cloud Builder Federated our Portal against ArcGIS Server, but the address it Federated to was an internal IP Address in Azure of a Load Balancer for ArcGIS Server (so https:10.0.0.4/arcgis) which will not work externally. When I first attempted to make my Server/DataStore environment the hosting server, it failed and said it couldn't use that server for hosting, but the hosting server listed is DNS name of our Portal/Server - Enterprise combination.On the second attempt to federate and set the hosting server it worked. I get the green check mark for the Federation, and then the hosting server (using DNS) works. But what happens is publishing fails to Portal and in doing a fiddler trace the IP address of the Federated Server comes back as part of the error (with good old 9999). But I can publish to Server, directly. With the fact that there are two web adaptors at the Load Balancer levels for both Portal and Server I am unclear as to my next steps? Do I attempt to add the DNS? 

Support is reviewing my logs to see if they can pinpoint the issue. Any insight would be helpful.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
FraserHand
Occasional Contributor III

Hey,

Quick question. Is the federation private admin url still the internal load balancer IP? Also was the publishing workflow from Desktop (ArcMAp) or from ArcGIS Pro?

Thanks,

Fraser

0 Kudos
JoeWeyl
Occasional Contributor

Hi Fraser -

Thanks for the question, but after a lot of digging Esri and I found the real issue. Cloud Builder has requirements that our Microsoft Azure subscription for development environments didn't support by default. It is the way my company set up the Azure EA. Anyhow, It appears my deployment wouldn't work because of the machine sizes I was choosing were too small to meet the default requirements of ArcGIS Enterprise. I didn't sit down and compare machine sizes in Azure to the minimum requirements for each product, therefore unsupported machine sizes would cause Cloud Builder to not finish all the configuration. At least that is what we think at this time. Esri deployed a default configuration in their Azure subscription and it worked as expect. I will be doing the same thing in my environment once my Admin ups my Azure requirements to meet the Esri standard. Very frustrating to have go through this all, but in hindsight I should have thought about the VM sizes and figuring that part out.

Esri created a chart for the default configuration machine sizes so I could ask our Admins to set up my subscription to support the architecture. I have included it on the post.

Default Configuration