Publish Vector Tile Service on ArcGISOnline - all or nothing?

Jump to solution
10-06-2017 12:04 PM
NathanMellor
Occasional Contributor

I want to publish a vector tile layer on ArcGISOnline. 

I'm referring to this:

Publish hosted vector tile layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

So if I want to publish a Vector tile service that covers the planet, am I required to have one huge .vtpk that covers the planet at once? 

Is there any possibility of uploading a continent or country at a time?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Yup you could publish up individual vector tile layers covering Continents in one and Oceans in another. Then you would just follow the steps in this link to create a multiple layer basemap here: Choose basemap—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Yup you could publish up individual vector tile layers covering Continents in one and Oceans in another. Then you would just follow the steps in this link to create a multiple layer basemap here: Choose basemap—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
NathanMellor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you. 

I guess I usually think of multilayer maps are ones that have layers on top of each other. 

Am I thinking correctly that once I combine these into a basemap, it can be addressed as one map in the Javascript API and Runtime mobile SDKs? Without any performance degradation?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

With the 4.x API and Runtime 100.x can read just the web map item id with the multilayer basemap you created in the Map Viewer. I have not tested this exact scenario out with different APIs so I can't comment on what the performance difference could be.

0 Kudos