Editing tool: draw a single line to merge two or adjacent polygons. Still around in ArcMap or Pro?

10-05-2017 01:49 PM
AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

I vaguely remember a tool that would allow you to draw a line from one polygon to an adjacent polygon to merge them.  Then the polygon at the end of the line would be merged with the polygon at the start of the line.  The resulting merged polygon would receive the attribute of the polygon at the start of the drawn line.  Does anyone else remember that tool?  Was that an ArcView 3.2 tool?  Is there an equivalent in Pro or ArcMap?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No.. you can union or merge polygons in an edit session or you can create a polygon by joining it to an existing polygon (autocomplete polygon) saving you the mistake prone need to redigitize the boundary... but I don't remember any magical draw-A-line-to-combine tool

0 Kudos
AZendel

Thanks.  I'm currently in the process of cleaning up some data and merging lots of polygons.  Right now, the process is 

1) select both polygons

2) hit the merge button on the Edit tab (if the merge 'tool' window isn't already open)

3) click the buttons in the 'feature to merge' box until the correct target polygon flashes 

4) hit the merge button

Granted, that's not a horrible workflow. But it would be nice get that done in one operation.  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

too bad that there isn't a common attribute between the polygons you wanted to merge, then you could do them all at once using Dissolve

0 Kudos
AZendel

Yep, that'd definitely be the fastest way to do it.  But I need to review all of these polygons to make sure I'm merging them into the correct target polygon.  

0 Kudos
VictoriaWyeth1
New Contributor

Hi A Zendal

Did you ever find a solution to this?

0 Kudos