Multiple tif to hgt conversion

10-05-2017 05:51 AM
StefanoFalconetti
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to do something that sounds simple, and maybe is just complex for a newbie like me. I have a set of tif files I have extracted from a big 5GB tif files using this function:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00170000009v000000.htm 

I 'd like to transform these 498 tif into .hgt files (1201x1201 sized), clearly avoiding to do that one by one. I'm using ARCGis Pro 10. is there anything and if yes, where is it, the tool I can use to make this massive conversion tif -> hgt ?

Thanks ,

Stefano.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

hgt? is that SRTM format? if so, it is read-only.

Check properties of supported raster formats

0 Kudos
StefanoFalconetti
New Contributor

Hi Dan, 

yes it is that format the one I mean. From QGIS I could do that (convert tif to hgt) but it gets a pyton error... so looking for a better tool and assuming that ARCGis could write hgt. 

QGIS tif to hgt

I'm very surprised about this "limitation", also assuming that script in ARCGis are using GDAL (GDAL: gdal_translate) sort of modified APIs and so that had to be possible. So I cannot do this in ARCGis ??

Stefano.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You could write your own and call gdal if installed have a python distribution with it installed.  I suspect that hgt is not a widely used destination (ie final) format within the esri community.  Currently the default export format is *.tif.  You might just want to track down what is causing the qgis error on their support site

StefanoFalconetti
New Contributor

Thanks Dan,

good point. It was taking a small amount of space respect to a shape file. i will go with QGIS (QT API issue). 

0 Kudos