Location Allocation or Vehicle Routing Problem

10-03-2017 05:40 AM
RobertFord1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks in advance for all help.

I am trying to create a model for adding staffing to certain fire stations and how that would change the possible response dynamics. I have looked into using VRP, but it looks much too complex for what I am after.

We want to know that if we add an extra apparatus to a fire station, if that fire station would take more 911 calls then the surrounding ones. I want to use historical data and say, if we add this vehicle, it will add this many runs to that station while also relieving this many runs from the surrounding stations. 

So in relation to VRP, the "Depots" would be my fire stations while my "Orders" would be the 911 calls in the area. As for location-allocation, how would I model the capacities of each fire station? For instance, say one station has 2 trucks while all others have 1. The station with 2 trucks can respond to more events than those with one. How could I model this?

Any ideas are much appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Short answer- take a look at Location Allocation or Vehicle Routing Problem ; scroll down to the default_capacity parameter.  The description states: 

Specifies the default capacity of facilities when the loc_alloc_problem_type parameter is set to MAXIMIZE_CAPACITATED_COVERAGE. This parameter is ignored for all other problem types.

Facilities have a Capacity property, which, if set to a nonnull value, overrides the default_capacity parameter for that facility.

That should just about do it....