How to create .tif files

Jump to solution
10-02-2017 06:14 AM
NicholasLiccini
New Contributor II

Hi!

I am in need of some offline map functionality, and I've been looking through the ArcGIS C++ Samples for "Raster Layer (file)" which seems to have the functionality that I want.

So my question is now, how can I create files to be used in this way? What software can I download to create the .tif files that are used in the sample?

Thanks!

Nick

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor

There are many different ways to create raster data, depending largely on what type of data you have (points you want to interpolate into an elevation grid, imagery you have obtained from somewhere, polygons you have converted, etc). The data creation will be something you will do outside of ArcGIS Runtime, with a tool like ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap. Here are some of the most common tools - An overview of the To Raster toolset—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucasDanzinger

There are many different ways to create raster data, depending largely on what type of data you have (points you want to interpolate into an elevation grid, imagery you have obtained from somewhere, polygons you have converted, etc). The data creation will be something you will do outside of ArcGIS Runtime, with a tool like ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap. Here are some of the most common tools - An overview of the To Raster toolset—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos
NicholasLiccini
New Contributor II

Okay thank you for the suggestions! Do you know of any open source or free tools I could use? I don't need a very powerful tool for now so I'd be okay with a very basic one

0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger

I don't have any specific recommendations. ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap both contain a very rich suite of raster tools that provide lots of capabilities while still being very easy to use, so I recommend you use either of those applications.