PostGIS 3D Data

09-29-2017 09:25 AM
ThomasWicks1
New Contributor

Hi,

I've got a variety of datasets held in a PostGIS database. I can correctly load 3D Points and 3D Polylines into ArcScene from PostGIS and view them. However, I struggle with 3D Polygons. I'm not sure if this is due to me having an incorrect geometry type for the polygons, or if there is a deeper issue with ESRI reading 3D polygon data. Does anyone know, or has anyone had any success loading polygon data into ArcScene from PostGIS? 

#3D #ArcScene #PostGIS

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

can you elaborate on the issue?  Are you extruding to the z dimension? or do you have xyz coordinates? and what is their format (ie xyz for every vertex or one z for the polygon as a whole?)

0 Kudos
ThomasWicks1
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

The geometry is a solid (POLYHEDRALSURFACE Z ). It their for has xyz for every vertex.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Not seeing it, if this applies

ThomasWicks1
New Contributor

It may be that the polyhedral surface geometry type isn't what I need then. Given that I have an xyz for each vertex, what geometry should I be using? I can't see anything on the provided link that mentions the 3rd dimension. Do you think its possible?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

That would be on the page beneath the link I sent... here .... where they mention the Z domain

0 Kudos