"Raster to Point" command not working; Arc stops responding

Jump to solution
09-29-2017 08:34 AM
StevenKoller
New Contributor II

Hi all,

First post, so please be kind! I’ve got a huge raster file (California subset of USDA’s CDL, if anyone is familiar) with 954,078,560  cells at 30mx30m resolution. I’ve also got a feature file with 153 map units, spanning the boundaries of California. I’m trying to convert the large raster file into a point file using the “raster to point” command, however after a few tries, ArcMap responds with the dreaded “(Not Responding)” window. Guessing it’s because the raster is so large.

Ultimately, I want to perform a “spatial join” such that the maximum raster value within each of the 153 point features is joined to each of those 153 features. Anyone have any tips to help me successfully execute the “raster to point” command, or get the end result I’m looking for using another set of commands?

Thanks!

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StevenKoller
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your help! As it turns out, I used another workaround that I think did the trick. I used Zonal Statistics to calculate the sum of rasters (value = 1) within each feature. This created a raster with uniform values within each feature. Then, I used the "Feature to Point" and "Extract by Point" tools to extract the raster value for each map unit (now denoted as a point). A bit circuitous, but think it got me to the same place. Please feel free to let me know what you think of this approach! 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Hmmmm several options... lets try easy #1

• buffer the points by whatever distance to produce separate buffer rings.
  • do a Zonal Statistics as Table which will give you all stats and a table that you can join back to the points
StevenKoller
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your help! As it turns out, I used another workaround that I think did the trick. I used Zonal Statistics to calculate the sum of rasters (value = 1) within each feature. This created a raster with uniform values within each feature. Then, I used the "Feature to Point" and "Extract by Point" tools to extract the raster value for each map unit (now denoted as a point). A bit circuitous, but think it got me to the same place. Please feel free to let me know what you think of this approach! 

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If they are comparable... then you have a match