can you record speed of vehicle from one point to another point in workforce?

09-28-2017 07:36 AM
NavjotKaur
New Contributor

Hello 

We are looking into using workforce for one of our county departments to manage field work.

There is this requirement of tracking the speeds of spraying trucks.They want to make sure workers are not speeding.

Is it possible in workforce to capture speed if app is used on ipads and no other GPS unit on the truck?

Thank you

Nikki

0 Kudos
9 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Nikki,

Workforce does not currently persist speed as part of worker location, but that is something we'd like to add in an upcoming release.

You could use the worker tracks to calculate speed of the device, but it would be an estimate.

Craig

0 Kudos
NavjotKaur
New Contributor

You mean I can calculate average speed? using the route length and time?

So I guess collector can't store speed either? since workforce is using collector to collect the data.

Is there any other way to store speed that is available?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

I am not 100% sure this will work but you could collect workers location every 30 seconds. Then calculate change of location based on time to get MPH. It would not be 100% accurate but it could work if driving on freeways or longer roads. 

0 Kudos
NavjotKaur
New Contributor

so right now I have one route, starting time, end time and length of the route. but I need to  find speed and am not sure how can I find speed from this information. and I have only start time and end time for the route. Thanks

0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Take the Length of the route to get distance and subtract the start time from end time. Then run this formula. Make sure you have the distance in miles and convert time to hrs to get MPH. 

Rate = Distance/Time

0 Kudos
NavjotKaur
New Contributor

I had already done that. But I am not looking for average speed I need to know if trucks are speeding on any route segment. Like if they are going over the speed limit. That's what we are interested in capturing speed at every point it collects data.

Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Nikki,

The only option I can think of at this time, is the use the Date/Time stamps for the Location Tracks and the distances between them to calculate the Speed.  A search finds a few hits on how to do this:

arcgis desktop - Calculating speed along point feature class (.gpx) in ArcMap? - Geographic Informat... 

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=7f668753b7864c27a00f1fcf263aafd3 

Workforce is planning to include speed as part of the metadata we write for each track location, in a future release.

Craig

NavjotKaur
New Contributor

Craig

Thanks for quick reply! I will work on those options.

Do we have any idea when the new workforce release is going to be and when can we expect the speed feature to be added to the workforce?

Thank you

Nikki

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Nikki,

I don't have a timeline for when this will be available in Workforce, but it could be in the first half of 2018.

Craig

0 Kudos