Arc GIS Pro Projection not working?

09-27-2017 01:09 PM
AlecBiles
New Contributor II

This is going to sound pretty basic but when I change the projection  of my shape file ( WGS 1984 Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere to USA_Contiguous_Lambert_Conformal_Conic) it says the Projection is completed successfully but nothing happens. Don't really know what else to explain, thanks

5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Alec,

What do you mean nothing happens? Can you show a screenshot of what you're seeing? Can you double check the projection afterwards to see if it did change?

tagging https://community.esri.com/groups/coordinate-reference-systems?sr=search&searchId=b3823637-7708-47f3...‌ also

0 Kudos
AlecBiles
New Contributor II

I have projected the data into NAD 1983 2011 Contiguous USA Albers from GCS NAD 1983 2011 but the map never changes.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

What changes are you expecting to see? Can you verify that the data is truly in this new system?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

put the Projected file into a new empty Map document... all by itself with no other data

if you Projected the file, you end up with a new file so you should have 2 file, the unprojected one and the projected one.  If you don't, you used Define Projection or did it wrong

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

'Change' ?  I hope you didn't use the Define projection tool rather than the Project tool

In any event.... nothing is going to happen unless you also 'change' the coordinate system of the map itself.  

When a map is created, you can set the coordinate system, or rely on the fact that the first file added to it will set the coordinate system.  Changing.. either by Defining or Projecting a layer in that map has absolutely no affect on how the data will look.  What to see what it looks like?  open a new map, and add that layer, and only that layer to it.  Same process in ArcMap