Locators in ArcPro from Server Connection not persisting in my Project Template

Jump to solution
09-26-2017 01:25 PM
KateNewell1
Occasional Contributor II

I have set up a Project Template for my organization. As part of the template, in addition to our enterprise basemap layers and layouts, I want to include our connections to SDE and ArcGIS Server.  Our custom Locators are located in on ArcGIS Server.  I have been able to connect to the Server and right click on our hosted locators and "Add to Project".  The locators then show up in the Locators folder in ArcCatalog (arcpro), just as I want.  However, when I share this project as a Template, the locators are no longer in the Locator folder when I open the template.  The Server connection is still there, but I don't want our users to have to navigate to the Server connection folder, find our folder where the locators are stored and have to "Add to Project"...I want the connection to the Locators to persist in the Locator folder in Catalog....where one would logically look for Locators.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Kate:

The behavior you are seeing with the locator coming from the ArcGIS Server connection is expected behavior within ArcGIS Pro. Since the project template is being shared within your organization try checking the option to "share internally" when creating the project template to maintain the locator in the project. Some other options are:

• Create a map package that users can import into the project instead of using a project template
  • Add the ArcGIS Server locator as a utility service to your ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise Portal organization, then the locator will be automatically available every time a project is created and the users will not have to add the locator manually to the project.
  • If your ArcGIS Server is federated with ArcGIS Enterprise Portal 10.5 or higher you can share the locator with the portal with the sharing option set to the name of the organization, then users can search for the locator in the Catalog pane on the Portal tab, then add it to their project. Or if you shared the locator with a group in the organization, the members of the group can see the content of the group.

-Shana

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Kate:

The behavior you are seeing with the locator coming from the ArcGIS Server connection is expected behavior within ArcGIS Pro. Since the project template is being shared within your organization try checking the option to "share internally" when creating the project template to maintain the locator in the project. Some other options are:

• Create a map package that users can import into the project instead of using a project template
  • Add the ArcGIS Server locator as a utility service to your ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise Portal organization, then the locator will be automatically available every time a project is created and the users will not have to add the locator manually to the project.
  • If your ArcGIS Server is federated with ArcGIS Enterprise Portal 10.5 or higher you can share the locator with the portal with the sharing option set to the name of the organization, then users can search for the locator in the Catalog pane on the Portal tab, then add it to their project. Or if you shared the locator with a group in the organization, the members of the group can see the content of the group.

-Shana

DavidWheelock2
Occasional Contributor II

Yes, the locator as a utility service on your ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise Portal is the answer here.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/administer/configure-services.htm#:~:text=Click%20Save.-,Geo...

0 Kudos