data not downloading to ArcGIS

09-26-2017 06:01 PM
MichaelMcCoy
New Contributor

I can see my data points in ArcPad, but I cannot seem to download them to my desktop and open them in ArcGIS. I can see other files I have worked on, but not this one in particular, which contains several hundred trees. There does not appear to be a shapefile associated with the file I am working on (which uses a specific data form). Any help?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

It is always helpful to include the version you are using, where is is installed (i.e OS installed and used for collecting...laptop? GPS and type, etc.), whether is is an out-of-the box or customized collection tool, and if you are using the ArcPad Toolbox in ArcGIS Desktop (version) and the type of data (i.e. SDE or maybe a personal GDB?).

I'm rather rusty on ArcPad (other than my custom apps), but those items should help others troubleshoot.

0 Kudos
MichaelMcCoy
New Contributor

Good ideas.

I am using ArcPad 10.0, data being collected on a Trimble GeoXH Explorer hand-held GPS unit. I just set up a project in ArcPad and went from there. I can see the data layer and add it to a new map and see the dots, but can't download and view a corresponding shapefile.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Since the help is sometimes hard to find... ArcPad Help 

Can you attach to the Trimble so it looks like a drive or is there software for communicating and transferring data?  Is it you don't know where the files are stored or you see the files but can't grab them?  Maybe they are not actually shap files (with the .shp and other file extensions) but instead are an ArcPad AXF File.

Are you using the ArcPad Data Manager extension? 

0 Kudos