Differences in processing time for Drone2Map

09-26-2017 08:54 AM
RosieYacoub
New Contributor III

I am processing imagery from Drone2Map and noticed that when I processed two adjacent collections separately (each collection was processed to a separate orthomosaic) it seemed to take dramatically less time than when processing the two collections into a single orthomosaic:  the two collections processed separately processed each overnight; whereas the single took two nights PLUS the whole daytime in between.  I became curious about that, and started to look for clues in the processing reports.  Has anyone experienced this difference and know what it stems from?

The processing reports paint a different picture of what happened (although it still showed that in total it was more efficient to process the collections separately). According to the report, the time spent for Initial Processing (without report) of the single process of the two collections was only 10:48 minutes (as opposed to the around 30 hours that I observed Drone2Map working on the process).  Does this mean the bulk of the time spent by Drone2Map is in report generation?

For me, if it is less efficient to process more photos together than to process them in chunks, that might be important to my workflow, generally. So I am hoping someone has some experience/suggestions.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mohammed_Hasif_MeeraSyed_Ali
New Contributor

Hi Rosie,

I am also facing a similar issue but one thing I can be sure that it is efficient to run maximum number of images with D2M than running with small chunks.

From my experience, I can say that the D2M does not take much time in report generation but writing the output takes the considerable time.

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

It will always take less time with smaller data as there is less 'neighbor' comparing with the algorithm.  Also, to take into consideration would be hardware, it is quite possible you surpassed your available RAM with one larger which would cripple processing time for your machine to continually swap files in and out of RAM rather than not having to.

What were your system specs?  what do the logs show for utilization of RAM/CPU during the 'slower' run?

0 Kudos