stevy3

VRP and Congestion Impact

Discussion created by stevy3 on Jan 18, 2011
Latest reply on Jan 31, 2011 by nan-esristaff
Hi Everyone,

When conducting a Vehicle Routing Problem solution, routes are created over a specific time period.  I would like to add an impact of congestion but only for specific time periods.  For example if the route runs from 1pm to 8pm, the congestion should have an impact on the impedence values for each link from 3pm to 7pm.  Is there a way to have Network Analyst handle this type of impact?  (i.e. regular impedence values from 1pm to 3pm & 7pm to 8pm but higher values during more congested times.)   There would be different impacts depending on the road class.

There was a description in an earlier post where it was suggested to create different evaluators for use in the impedence calculation (i.e. one for regular drive times and another for congested drive times) but this requires specifically using one or the other evaluator.  In solving a VRP, some of the routes will be created crossing the time periods (i.e. uncongested and congested).

There may be a solution that I have missed but I can't seem to find it and the documentation does not point to anything relating to this type of issue. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Craig.

Outcomes