AnsweredAssumed Answered

Why is Network Analyst so pathetically slow in ArcGIS Pro?

Question asked by dkampe on Sep 15, 2017
Latest reply on Sep 18, 2017 by dkampe

I do a lot of route and VRP analyses in ArcMap, which includes about 2500 bus trips and 20000 bus stops. Additionally, I have a very complicated bus tiering model that stacks bus trips efficiently. I have no problems completing these using ArcMap 10.4.1. However, I want to fully move to ArcGIS Pro (EDIT: I'm at 2.0.1), but when it comes to using Network Analyst Pro is terribly slow and unstable. It's basically unusable in it's current form. Here's a quick comparison. I just made 976 routes from 20282 bus stops. ArcMap, from loading stop points to completion is about 5 minutes. Pro takes about 3 minutes 21 seconds to load the stops and then it endlessly runs while drawing the routes. If I cancel there are, in fact, routes, but it's so slow (30+ minutes) just to get to that point I question if it can actually do the job. Finally, the bus tiering model I have works in Pro, but the VRP is so slow I have to use ArcMap. Pro will churn for hours, while the analysis is done in about 20 minutes in ArcMap.

Am I the only one experiencing this and if so is anyone at ESRI looking into resolving this?

Thanks,

Doug

Outcomes