AnsweredAssumed Answered

ArcPy in Pro more limited than in Desktop?

Question asked by levnagdimunov0 on Sep 8, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 15, 2018 by jbarrette-esristaff

ArcPy for ArcGIS Pro seems more limited than the Desktop ArcPy in crucial ways.

The older ArcPy had the ``arcpy.mapping.UpdateLayer`` function, which could (with the last parameter set to true) update symbology on a layer from a template layer. No such function (or replacement for it) appears to exist in the new ArcPy, unless I am missing it? This is a crucial capability given how limited ArcPy is in terms of directly manipulating symbology, for example for rasters there seems to be essentially no way to modify any symbology now.

There is still the ``arcpy.ApplySymbologyFromLayer_management`` tool. However this tool does not work for all layers (nor did it in Desktop), for example it executes without error but seems to do nothing for symbology of a raster layer of a mosaic, whether you apply symbology from a raster layer to the mosaic raster layer or symbology from an entire mosaic to the entire mosaic.

Separately but related, the functionality of ``arcpy.mapping.UpdateLayerTime`` is also gone, and seems to have no replacement. The entire ability to deal with time appears to be gone, for example layer.time no longer seems to exist for time-enabled layers (also according to the docs).

I am surprised to find such crucial features removed. Has something replaced them that I was not able to find, or is something slated to?

Outcomes