how can i publish a map that will look like this in AGOL ?

Jump to solution
09-04-2017 08:51 AM
MapsGeek
New Contributor II

i always publish my data either as a feature service or tiled layer, which has the following 2 icons
 tiled layer,  feature service.
here is what i know, tiled layer is a set of images which i can't style on the fly or filter or have a pop-up for it without the feature service, so i use the feature service directly but it's kind of slow when it comes to big data

then i saw this map published by esri and it has the label of " map image layer " with this icon
 map image layer, it's tiled so it renders fast and what is more interesting is that each sub layer has the same options that the feature service has in AGOL, like styling, filtering, pop-up etc..
and the way the layers get listed also is important for me.

so i would like to know how such map are being published from ArcMap.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

A Map Image Layer refers to a Map Service hosted in ArcGIS Enterprise or ArcGIS Server. Map Services can be dynamic (allowing group layers, turning on and off layers), rendered on the server. You can also have a cached map service which is the same as a hosted tile service, resulting in quick display of static data.

Check out this help doc for more information. Based on your description I expect that you are looking for a dynamic map service. You can also accomplish most of these workflows with a feature layer, except for grouping layers together (this is coming next year some time).

Common reasons for using map services—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Map authoring considerations—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

https://community.esri.com/ideas/9987

-Kelly

View solution in original post

2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Map Image Layers are published to ArcGIS Enterprise and then they can be added as an item in ArcGIS Online. Map Image layer is not a hosted layer type, meaning you cannot publish a hosted map image layer directly from ArcGIS Desktop to ArcGIS Online.

ArcGIS Server web services—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

A Map Image Layer refers to a Map Service hosted in ArcGIS Enterprise or ArcGIS Server. Map Services can be dynamic (allowing group layers, turning on and off layers), rendered on the server. You can also have a cached map service which is the same as a hosted tile service, resulting in quick display of static data.

Check out this help doc for more information. Based on your description I expect that you are looking for a dynamic map service. You can also accomplish most of these workflows with a feature layer, except for grouping layers together (this is coming next year some time).

Common reasons for using map services—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Map authoring considerations—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

https://community.esri.com/ideas/9987

-Kelly