ArcMap 10.5.1 Properties slow

09-04-2017 10:42 AM
JulianJungfels1
New Contributor II

Hi, clicking on  "Properties" results in a wait time of 10 Seconds. ArcMap 10.5.1. Set up new MXD, no big files just aerial photos and shome shapes. 

69 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

all locally stored on your machine?

properties of the file(s)? the project?

has it always done this?

does it do it with other data?

have you cleared out temporary workspaces etc?

could be a number of things

0 Kudos
JulianJungfels1
New Contributor II

Data stored local on SSD, tried USB 3.0 stick and external SSD.  

On my Laptop with 10.3 it works just fine with the same data!

With 10.5.1 i have this issue regardless of the data type. 

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I haven't seen that behaviour with my locally stored data with 10.5.1 or Pro

0 Kudos
MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor

Same... regardless of where the data source, the properties take a long time to come up.  I am gonna say at least a minute.  

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Long shot but you could delete your normal.mxt from your user profile.  Perhaps there's detritus left over from the 10.3 to 10.5.1 upgrade.

MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor

That was quite literally the first thing I did.  Standard procedure.  Tried everything else on this list as well:  Troubleshooting Slow Performance in ArcGIS Desktop | Support Services Blog 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Roger that.  I'd recommend calling Esri Support Services then to see if they can resolve the slow performance.  Their number is 1-888-377-4575https://support.esri.com/en/

MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor

Mmmhmmm.  Nevermind.  They immediately ask for a customer number.  Even if I get the number, they won't talk to me because I am not the administrator on our account. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Okay, let's keep on working on some other ideas then.  Do you have any cached map services in the *.mxd?  If so, then it could be a bug (BUG-000107314).

Another option for troubleshooting (in addition to the blog article) is the following:

Open Windows Explorer and go to the following path on your computer and navigate to:
C:\Program Files
(x86)\Common iles\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\Configuration\CATID
If the CATID folder exists, it will contain files which have an ECFG extension. These files initialize 3rd party extensions that may exist on your computer that were
installed for previous versions of ArcGIS Desktop. If the CATID folder exists, rename the folder as CATID_old. This will disable the extensions.

What is the result?