arcgis pro different measurement than arcmap

Jump to solution
09-01-2017 08:14 AM
Labels (1)
JulietteWood
New Contributor III

When I create a polygon in ArcGIS Pro, the measurements are smaller than the same measurement in ArcView. Is there a place I can change some settings to get the ArcGIS Pro to put the correct measurements? This screenshot is from ArcView basic license. When I mapped it out in ArcGIS Pro, it was smaller and had fewer acres. I know there must be a setting that I need to tweak.measured length, #create features line length,  #create features incorrect measurements

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JulietteWood
New Contributor III

Thank you. I'll check on this. I appreciate your help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the coordinates of the dataframe/map and the input file need to be confirmed.  If they weren't exactly the same in both cases, you can get differences.  Report on those, and you will probably find the source of the difference.

JulietteWood
New Contributor III

Thank you. I'll check on this. I appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
JulietteWood
New Contributor III

I went to the Layers properties>Transformation and I believe, did a transformation. It seems to have worked. Thanks for your help.

mhoffman6
New Contributor III

Juliette,

I noticed thatwith some of the SDE databases such as what I have been working on with ArcGIS Pro in regards to the COGO functionality. I was only getting 2/3rds of the entered distance. Once I recreated the COGO Databases (in ArcGIS Pro) I was able to get the correct distances that I wanted.

Matt Hoffman

JulietteWood
New Contributor III

Matt, when you recreated the COGO Databases in ArcGIS Pro, did you just export the ArcMap database into ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
mhoffman6
New Contributor III

No, I created a new file geodatabase named it COGO_Lines (arbitrary). Then I brought it into ArcGIS Pro and ran the Enable COGO tool on it from inside ArcGIS Pro. That seemed to correct the discrepancy with the measurements.

JulietteWood
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply Matt. I tried this, but that tool isn't licensed for my basic license. What seemed to work for me is doing the transformation like Dan Patterson suggested.  When I added another polygon feature class (from my ArcMap geodatabase), I had the same problem, so I exported all of the feature classes from my ArcMap geodatabase to where the geodatabase for ArcGIS Pro is stored on my computer (the default place that the software chooses when installing). I'm hoping this solved the problem for all time, but will be wary in case it happens again. Thanks again.

0 Kudos