Does anyone have a solution for deleting a label class or a way to keep the label from showing?

Jump to solution
08-30-2017 11:21 AM
JulietteWood
New Contributor III

I created label classes for my polygons. The Class 1 was for showing the owner name and then I created Class 2 with python code in it for displaying the owner name and account number.  Now the 2 labels show: the owner's name twice and the account number. I would like to delete one of the classes so there is only one of the labels showing.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JulietteWood
New Contributor III

https://community.esri.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-711851-369193/pastedImage_1.png

This is the solution that was sent to me by Kory Kramer. I will try to put my question in the category you mentioned and take it out of the others. I see my emails appearing in the thread.  My question was for ArcGIS Pro 2.0.  Here is the rest of the solution that was sent by Kory Kramer:

To keep a label class from displaying as a label with another label class, if I understand correctly, you would select the Label Class that you don't want to display, and then uncheck the option 'Label Features In This Class.'

So in this example, I have Class 1 and Class 2.  If I don't want to display labels for Class 2, select that and uncheck 'Label Features In This Class.'

Thank you for replying to my question! This is the first time I've used this forum.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Could you tell us ,What is your software and the version ?

Could you attach screenshots?

Finally you can get helpful answers if you move your question to ,Mapping and Charting because the subject relate to it. 

0 Kudos
JulietteWood
New Contributor III

https://community.esri.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-711851-369193/pastedImage_1.png

This is the solution that was sent to me by Kory Kramer. I will try to put my question in the category you mentioned and take it out of the others. I see my emails appearing in the thread.  My question was for ArcGIS Pro 2.0.  Here is the rest of the solution that was sent by Kory Kramer:

To keep a label class from displaying as a label with another label class, if I understand correctly, you would select the Label Class that you don't want to display, and then uncheck the option 'Label Features In This Class.'

So in this example, I have Class 1 and Class 2.  If I don't want to display labels for Class 2, select that and uncheck 'Label Features In This Class.'

Thank you for replying to my question! This is the first time I've used this forum.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The label manager... is where you can edit, delete what you need... assuming arcmap of course

JulietteWood
New Contributor III

This was for ArcGIS Pro 2.0. Thank you for your reply. I'm new to this forum and am unfamiliar with it. The problem is now solved. Please see my reply above. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Joseph_Kinyon
Occasional Contributor II

Juliette,

This is done by showing the Contents Pane (View tab, click Contents icons)
Then in the Contents Pane, click the List By Labeling Icon (yellow tag image)

Your layers with label classes should appear in pane.

Click the triangle on the left of the layer to expand the list of classes.
Check or uncheck the label class for it to show or not show.

Right clicking name will produce a context menu with the option to remove. 

This should cover the two most direct ways to do this task as asked in your original question about ArcGIS Pro 2.0

view of contents pane label list context menu

Joe

P.S.

Select a class by clicking on its name then Double clicking on the name again should allow you to edit the name inline.

JulietteWood
New Contributor III

Thank you for your clear explanation! It works great.

Juliette Wood

Jim Wells County Appraisal District

Mapping/Researcher

361-668-9656 ext. 14

Joseph_Kinyon

Juliette,

Glad that worked!

I was looking for an answer to your exact question but the answers here didn't seem to fit what you or I needed, especially those that manage the label class (add, remove / delete, rename, etc.) rather than just using the class and properties including turning on and off.

I figured someone else may end up here at this thread again and resurrected the comments with my explanation.

Stay cool this weekend.

Joe

0 Kudos
RyanTaylor10
New Contributor II

Thanks!

Joseph_Kinyon

I had a brain fail moment and forgot how to do this last week and surprised myself when looking it up to see my own answer to a problem I didn't remember answering, duh.

0 Kudos