Difference between (.LPK) layer package and (.SLPK) scene Layer Package

08-31-2017 03:38 AM
ManelKEDDAR
New Contributor III

Hello evry one , 

I need to know the difference between the (.LPK) and (.SLPK) and when to use each one of them ? for example SLPK i used them to display ArcGIS SCene Layer on a sceneView but (.LPK) i don't know what are used for ? any one can explain 

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Manel,

A layer package (containing 2D layers and referenced datasets) can be shared with other users who work on ArcGIS Desktop.

Layer package—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

A layer can be saved with its data as a layer package (.lpkx). A layer package includes both the layer properties and the dataset referenced by the layer. With a layer package, you can save and share everything about the layer—its symbology, labeling, field properties, and associated data.

On the other hand, a Scene Layer Package contains 3D Scene layers and its referenced datasets.

Scene layer package—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Scene layer packages (.slpk) contain a cache of a multipatch, point, or point cloud dataset. Scene layer packages can be published as web scene layers to ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1 or later with ArcGIS Data Store.

Think Location
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Edit: just noted that jayanta.poddar beat me to it...

The .slpk file is a Scene Layer Package: Scene layer package—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Scene layer packages (.slpk) contain a cache of a multipatch, point, or point cloud dataset. Scene layer packages can be published as web scene layers to ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1 or later with ArcGIS Data Store.

A layer package is stored as a .lpkx file in ArcGIS Pro: Layer package—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

A layer can be saved with its data as a layer package (.lpkx). A layer package includes both the layer properties and the dataset referenced by the layer. With a layer package, you can save and share everything about the layer—its symbology, labeling, field properties, and associated data.

Since you are referring to a .lpk file, this file refers to a Package Layer—Help | ArcGIS Desktop (and is created by ArcMap).

Packages one or more layers and all referenced data sources to create a single compressed .lpk file

ManelKEDDAR
New Contributor III

Hello i need to know which software can use these kind of packages ? for .SLPK it can be used by the ArcGIS runtime ?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

ArcGIS Pro is the software for Desktop users.

for .SLPK it can be used by the ArcGIS runtime ?

According to Create an offline layer—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET (WPF) | ArcGIS for Developers 

ArcGIS Pro allows you to create a scene layer package using a geoprocessing tool. You can add this local scene layer package (.slpk) as a scene layer  (ArcGISSceneLayer) to your ArcGIS Runtime app and add it to a Scene.

Think Location