Split Polygon by Overlapping Feature in ArcGIS Pro

08-29-2017 05:13 PM
ToddFagin
Occasional Contributor II

In ArcMap, one can split a polygon using an overlapping feature (Advanced Editing--Split Polygons). Looking at the editing options in ArcGIS Pro, I cannot find this functionality (though there is a split tool, which would allow me to do it manually. In many instances, this is not a viable option for me).

Am I overlooking this functionality or does it currently not exist in Pro?

Thanks,

Todd

17 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a useful bookmark list.... but like you I don't see an equivalent, except for forming a closed loop polyline... perhaps clip, but I don't have anything to test with offhand

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

https://community.esri.com/ideas/14566 

Splitting based on an existing feature isn't in Pro yet.  ArcGIS Pro 2.2 to be released this summer will add split functionality in terms of splitting proportionally and by length.  Splitting by existing features will probably come in the following release (2.3).

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Saw that this is still being looked at and wanted to confirm that the functionality is in ArcGIS Pro 2.3 slated for release in early 2019.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Kory, is there any status update on whether or not this will be included in 2.3?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

See above   Looks like we were typing at the same time.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Haha, wow, weird that this is all coming around at the moment. Thanks for the update!

0 Kudos
KirstenHuntley
New Contributor II

Hello! 10 months on, can you give me an update? I'm in 2.3.0 and I'm not finding a Split Polygons equivalent.  Thank you. 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Split a feature—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop  doesn't work for you to split polygons?

When you say you're looking for a Split Polygons equivalent, do you mean Cut Polygons Splitting a polygon—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ?

0 Kudos
KirstenHuntley
New Contributor II

From Splitting a polygon by an overlapping feature—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop I am specifically looking for 

1. Click Split Polygons Split Polygons on the Advanced Editing toolbar.

With Modify Features-Divide-Split tool, I can split by feature which is great, but I am having to interactively select the target. I love that I can go into the dialog with my input features already selected, but I guess I just appreciated that desktop knew what I wanted to be my target because that was my edit feature.  Still, I would never want to go back to having to chose my editing workspace! 

0 Kudos