Will ArcGIS desktop advanced run on a Dell Precision 3510?

08-26-2017 09:11 AM
KennethVance-Borland
New Contributor II

My Dell Precision M4700 laptop is getting old and I'm looking to replace it. A Dell document listing computer requirements for various software states that ArcGIS needs the Precision 7000 level of hardware, but I'm interested in using a Precision 3510 because it is a couple pounds lighter in weight, and also more economical to purchase. Has anyone had success running ArcGIS desktop advanced on a 3510?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Kenneth,

Here are the system requirements for ArcGIS 10.5. Take a look and see if they match up with your computer:

ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.x system requirements—System Requirements | ArcGIS Desktop 

Since you will likely want to migrate to Pro eventually (unless you already have), here are the Pro requirements:

ArcGIS Pro 2.0 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The salient link beyond the main ones that Adrian has posted are the ones inside where you can check if a computer will run.  So if you happen to be in the store, you could always pop to the link, then go to the link inside

Supported operating systems

Check your computer's ability to run ArcGIS Pro 2.0.

A bit crafty, but I am sure any sales person would oblige if it potentially means a sale 

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

ooooh, I forgot about that link. I like it!!!

...but, why does it mention this??

I mean, do people really still use IE? I see that sometimes ArcGIS Pro will defaultly pop open a link in IE, and I always found it a bit weird...

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Yes, people/agencies still use IE.  Our standard (and what is installed on all our machines) is Win7 64-bit and IE11.  Many are blocked from adding Chrome and FireFox without IT intervention.  (and my rant...Installing and/or changing license levels requires IT these days too for many...which it a real pain)

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

FYI - you can change license levels using environment variables without elevated access. ArcMap anyway..

https://community.esri.com/groups/archive/blog/2015/02/06/arcgis-for-desktop-concurrent-license-usin...

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Curtis.  I'll write that up for my users.  I actually have a .bat file that should work too...just haven't deployed it (i.e. probably would have to talk to IT first).    Works on my machine...but I already have admin rights.

edit:curtvprice   I should add, the reason I have the .bat file is we have 50 AV/Basic, about 5 ArcInfo/Advanced....when users need the advanced, they switch temporarily then need to switch back.  Royal pain to get IT involved for both.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We are really off thread here, sorry. The nice thing about the env variable approach is it absolutely does not require elevated privileges, unlike the changes you make to the HKLM registry keys using ArcGIS Administrator. If you set the env variables using a .bat file, the mod only applies to the arcmap session the script launches. 

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

do people really still use IE?

Desktop and Pro use components from IE to render XML all over the software.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

What I wonder is, is this normal for other major software platforms? I would assume all microsoft software packages would do the same. It doesn't really matter to me, the only thing I see occasionally is IE will open when I click on certain links in Pro. I suppose I can 'deal' with IE showing its face here and there  

0 Kudos