How can I reorder the legend without moving the layer content?

08-25-2017 07:16 AM
Emilie_CPotter
New Contributor

Specifically in the Map Series Web App template - I want to change the order that layers appear but ONLY in the legend (i.e., not how the layers are actually displayed on the map). Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Emilie,

I am guessing that you cannot really do this with the out-of-the-box solution. Here is a blog post on how to modify the legend for the Map Journal, but it will be different for the Map Series:

How to modify legend in Web Map (Story Map)? 

(well, click on the blog article in the post)

It would be best to move this thread to the Story Maps‌ place since it deals more with story maps than with ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Adrian Welsh‌ Best to keep this issue in  this ArcGIS Online thread because the appearance of the legend for a web map is generic to the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer. The Story Map Basic, Swipe/Spyglass, Series and Journal apps, and most other non-Story Map configurable apps, simply have the option to display the legend as-is for the web map(s) you display in the apps. Story Map Series and Story Map Journal don't provide any options for formatting the appearance of the web map legend. 

However in Story Map Series and Story Map Journal you do have the option to create your own customized legend graphic or infographic, as described in the blog post you reference) and include that in your story as an image, rather than automatically displaying the legend from the web map. This kind of legend is no longer linked to the map and doesn't automatically reflect changes made to the map content, but it does enable authors to tailor the legend creatively. For a nice example of this, see this Map Series, which uses infographics added to the story as images: 
https://story.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=597d573e58514bdbbeb53ba2179d2359 

Rupert

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Rupert, I appreciate the info. I kind of wish content could be in two places/spaces at once! That is a beautiful map on Hurricane Katrina. It looks like we may need a similar one (in ten years) for the recent destruction left by Hurricane Harvey, unfortunately...  

0 Kudos