ArcGIS 10.5.1 Bug: Everytime I load a mosaic dataset into ArcMap 10.5.1 it crashes - please help. I tried re-installing ArcGIS and this didn't help

08-18-2017 10:15 AM
KevinCrichlow1
New Contributor III

Windows: 10

ArcGIS for Desktop 10.5.1

1. Loaded Mosaic dataset by dragging and dropping from Arc Catalog fly - out menu

2. A few seconds later - Crash ! 

3. Tried doing a repair on ArcGIS but no dice. 

Please advise on a patch 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did you create the RMD in an earlier version of Desktop (e.g. 10.3.1)?

Did you try to create a brand new RMD in 10.5.1?

In my experience, once RMDs were opened in 10.5.1 they were no longer valid in 10.3.1 (This is site specific as ESRI and other organizations could not duplicate this behavior).

I would recommend creating brand new file gdbs and thus brand new RMDs in 10.5.1 so you don't bring in baggage from earlier desktop versions.

0 Kudos
KevinCrichlow1
New Contributor III

Hi Michael,

The RMD i created was made in 10.5.1 from scratch. 

I was able to load my las dataset into it but then when i dragged into the ArcMap window ArcMap crashed. 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I do not use las dataset in my organization's RMDs, so I cannot weigh in on your specific scenario.  I would recommend calling tech support to see if they can replicate your issue on their system.  You might need to send them your specific data for testing purposes.

Did you try to see if this behavior occurs with other types of raster datasets, as it might be specific to las datasets?

Were you able to use this same las dataset to create an RMD in an earlier version of desktop?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Contacting Esri tech Support would be the best thing to do, as suggested by Michael Volz‌.

Meanwhile, you could do the following

1. Ensure that the Graphics card driver is updated.

2. Turn off Hardware Acceleration.

3. Disable Background Processing.

3. Restart ArcMap.

Think Location